Sunday, August 8, 2010

Vegetarian Delishes

I have resolved to eat Vegetarian dishes a few nights a week. I refuse that mean "salads" so I dove into my favorite website, allrecipes.com, for some inspiration.
Vegetarian Korma! Happy Husband said he missed the chicken, but still fell in love with this dish. I used too much coconut milk (never thought one could ever use too much of this treasure) so I tripled the amount of curry powder. Next time I plan on using the more powerful Madras curry powder for some kick.



2.25 tsp canola oil
1 small onion
1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger I used a full tsp
2 cloves garlic
1 yukon gold potato, peeled and cubed
2 carrots, peeled and cubed
1 1/2 T. crushed cashews
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
4 oz. tomato sauce
1 tsp. salt
2 1/4 tsp curry powder (I used 2 T.)
1/2 c. frozen peas
1/2 red pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 green pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 c. coconut cream (I did a full cup... a very sweet whoops)
1 bunch fresh cilantro for garnish (essential for maximum flavor)

  1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and cook until tender. Mix in ginger and garlic, and continue cooking 1 minute. Mix potatoes, carrots, jalapeno, cashews, and tomato sauce. Season with salt and curry powder. Cook and stir 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
  2. Stir peas, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and cream into the skillet. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Garnish with cilantro to serve.
We have also enjoyed Chunky Summer Tomato Soup (cold and garden fresh) and Meatless Confetti Chili (using leftover peppers from the Korma). Tonight we'll have Zucchini Crab Cakes (use shredded and drained zucchini instead of crab) and bake, not fry.

If I ate like this all the time, I might not miss meat (for long).

Enjoy, my veggie friends!

Reading: "Pride & Prejudice" by Jane Austen
Listening to: "I've Just Seen a Face" by The Beatles

No comments: