Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Happy Hanukkah!


I may not be Jewish, but I love the food! When I was in elementary school (2nd-4th grades), I got to learn all about Judaism -as much as a little kid with a Baptist background could understand anyway. I particularly enjoyed when my second grade teacher brought in latkes, rugelach, and I {think it was} kugel for us kids to enjoy during Hanukkah. We made dreidels, lit the menorah, and snacked on chocolate coins. I loved every second; it was so different than Christmas, yet felt so familiar. Here is my recipe for yum-o latkes.

2 c. grated potato (wring out to removed excess moisture)
1 egg, beaten
1 Tb. grated onion
2 Tb. matzo meal (or flour, if you don't have it)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. peanut oil for frying

Mix together first 5 ingredients. Heat oil in pan until hot (drop a water droplet in it to see if it sizzles, if it does, then you are ready to party). Place large spoonfuls of potato mixture into oil, pressing down until flat (approx. 1/2 inch thick). Brown on both sides, then drain on paper towels. Serve piping hot with sour cream and/or applesauce.

Enjoy!

No comments: