In honor of the occasion I made a southern like menu:
Grilled Burgers and Grilled Brats (he insisted)
Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Sweet Tea Vodka
Homemade-From-Scratch Two-Layer Chocolate Cake with Coconut Pecan Icing
|(Am in total denial that he is moving away from me, but I'll see him soon)|
Okay so the menu wasn't Southern at all. I just wanted to have chocolate and Sweet Tea Vodka with Lemonade. Very refreshing!
Was going to take a picture of the very pretty cake, but, it was eaten waaaay faster than I thought. Here is the original recipe instead. My revisions are as follows:
Very Impressive Chocolate Cake
2 c. sugar
2 c. sugar
1 3/4 c. cake flour
1 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 c. skim milk
1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce (use this instead of oil and save hundreds of calories)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. boiling water + 1 tsp. instant coffee granules
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9in. cake pans.
2. Mix together dry ingredients until well incorporated. Add in wet ingredients (except water/coffee combo), beating on medium speed for two minutes. Stir in boiling water/coffee, little bit at a time until all is in. Batter will be very thin (like how you will stay thin after eating this cake).
3. Evenly divide into two pans. Bake 30-35 minutes (mine took 38 minutes so check for doneness by inserting toothpick into center, if clean when it comes out, your good to go).
4. Cool 10 minutes, then remove pan and let completely cool on wire rack.
5. Frost top of one cake with half of a tub (ha ha, I didn't say it was all homemade) of Betty Crocker's Coconut Pecan frosting. Top with second cake, then frost that top. Add an adorable strawberry to the top of it to see what mine actually looked like :)