Tuesday, June 7, 2011

When I Grow Up

What did you want to be when you grew up? I changed my mind every couple of months or so. I wanted to be a nurse, a teacher, a ballerina, a children's book author (but only for kids younger than my seven-year-old self).

When did you picture yourself becoming the dreaded adult? I always thought it was when I turned 27. That was the age my parents were when they got married and when they had lil ol' me (ok, my dad turned 28 a couple of weeks before I burst onto the scene).


What did you think constituted being a grown up? I thought I would be old and dress in suits and be very serious all the time. I thought I would suddenly, overnight transform from a Beverly Hills 90210 teen into Zach Morris's mom. Funny how growing up you don't see adults very often in fun roles, they usually sit on the periphery and not given any interested story lines in young-adult geared shows.

I woke up this morning wondering if I fit my child-prescribed version of adulthood. Kinda? I wear suits (on days I'm seeing clients, only... I am a true rebel, baby). I really don't feel that interesting (I need a hobby something fierce) like a sitcom mom, I never thought that I would work in the event sales industry, but wish I would have stuck with at least one of my childhood dream-careers, I am not very serious. I pay bills, I have a mortgage, I have student loans, I am married with a dog and a turtle.


I'll grow up another day. Today I'll be the Most Interesting Man in the World.

Photo from April 23, 2011 ;)

No comments: